Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Bob Hurt's alternatives to Obamacare undermine federalism, the sovereignty of the people, and the decentralization of control of Other People's Money.

Another weekly missive from my Kool-Aid chugging Wichita-acolyte Representative to congress, and my reply.

The bottom line seems to be, employers can't be compelled to foot the bill for a health insurance system that subsidizes care to those lacking means to pay full price.  They're opting out.  So who will opt in?

You echoed three proposals that I've heard since childhood.  Tort reform.  Medical Savings, and -- this one is new to me -- only hearing this one since Obama took office, cross state lines.  I made known my objections to medical aavings accounts in my last email, as an aside to my objections toward your proposal to allow more speculative uses of college savings.  Medical savings, high deductibles, and subscription access to primary care are things I support, but the supports of medical savings who are pulling your strings are just seeking funding for their shell games.  I object to the proposal because I doubt the motives of those making the proposal.

As for tort reform -- I hold the Seventh Amendment sacred... the exercise of sovereignty by the people.  I hold juries more sacred than the vote.  Hostility toward jury verdicts is as much a reason I left the Republican party as was hostility to voter expression in the 2000 Florida recount.  THE PEOPLE ARE SOVEREIGN.  That means juries.  Reform voir dire -- tie lawyer's hands -- but let jurors reign free.

And this state line thing -- it smacks of anti-federalism.  Why do RHINO's, those rampaging Know-Nothings that call me RINO -- they've called you RINO too, I hear.  Take pride when they do.  Why do RHINO's wants to weaken State's sovereignty over commerce within their bounds?  I think I told you before -- 'across state lines' sounds suspiciously like 'lowest common denominator' and worse, like a path toward, not away from, oligopoly and frankly oligarchy. That's what happened when banks crossed state lines.  I expect the same result if the people pulling your strings get their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment