Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bob Hurt uses targeted web ads for political advertising paid by public funds.

My letter today to my Representative....

Nothing to cause much distress in your latest Round-up.  I hope the bill you reference does not indemnify frackers from damage to landowners.  How does a community deal with negative externalities from extractive industries, even if the extraction is simply catching the wind or the sun?  Emissions into the water and air are more concrete than microclimate and viewscape issues.  But I fear the forces that evade regulatory and judicial remedies and compensations for these externalities -- not to mention indemnity limits for catastrophes related to extractive activities.  I fear the forces advocating that the rest of us live with the consequences of our energy addiction, through the diminishment of our lives.  We need to PAY AT THE PUMP -- not in slow death by repeated small cuts of negative externalities.

But that's not why I write.  I write because I saw an ad on my Embarq webmail.  Bob Hurt -- protecting your Medicare.  I clicked the link expecting a campaign site -- but was directed instead to your congressional site.  THAT KIND OF AD WITH CONGRESSIONAL MONEY IS UNACCEPTABLE.  Please show me either how it is legitimate use of public funds, or that it was indeed paid for by campaign funds, despite linking to your congressional site.

I'm annoyed as well that I get these ads directed at me according to where I browse the internet.  I get hotel ads because I've checked travel sites.  I get political ads (AND THAT IS WHAT YOURS WAS!!) because I write my Representative.  I even started browsing Victorias Secret to get a better class of ads.  I don't care what NSA knows about me.  BUT GOOGLE KNOWS TOO DAMN MUCH!  Perhaps you can find a legislative remedy to all that.  NO!  You wouldn't.  You are one of those who subscribe -- WITH PUBLIC FUNDS -- to those targeted web ads.  FOR SHAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment